Monday, August 31, 2009

In The Life of A Recessionista

Perhaps I am not a fashion guru or neither am I the Anna Wintour of Vogue, but in my fashion dictionary, the key to style is imagination and the willingness to seek out a good deal. Aesthetically speaking, who wouldn’t want own a classic 2.55 Chanel, or exotic skin Prada, or a classic Louis Vuiton? I am not generalizing here, but most (not all) people in my social circle would never pass on any of those branded purses. With money (lots of it), anyone can look like a million bucks. I mean seriously! Even Susan Boyle (click on link to see my blog entry on her) whom I have respect for when she was first spotted on Britain's Got Talent looked like a celebrity when she had her makeover with her Burberry scarf and leather jacket.

Although I have been receiving comments and emails from some of my readers with compliments about being a Recessionista, I also received some less cordial ones (of course, there are haters out there!). I mean I don't deny that I love Chanel and Prada, but I don't own everything couture in my wardrobe! Even in my Fashionista days, I always strive to find chic and cheap pieces that will update the look of my more expensive investment dressing pieces already in my wardrobe. Now that I am much thriftier and frugal; shopping a lot lesser than I used to, I go by these rules which has worked well for me. I want to share them with everyone.
  • I always shun away from risky one-season trends.
  • I invest a lot in classic pieces like leather boots, leather black purse, little black dress, blazer, wool coat.
  • I peek into vintage and charity shops to search for unique pieces that bring out my personality and individuality at a fraction of the cost.
  • I accessorize to add new life into last season's clothes.
  • If I see something I really like on sale, I will ask myself the question over and over again if I would wear it more than once a month. Read my blog entry on Cost Per Wear.
So, there you go. Another word of advice from a Recessionista (Me!), never ever charge more than what you can afford. It sounds like common sense but it could be a challenge for some. I always make it a point to pay my credit card balances in full and on time; irregardless on how much I spend the month before. Paying with cash is great if you are trying to get off credit card debt. Then again if used correctly, credit cards can offer many benefits like rewards in the form of cash back or gift cards or even free vacations. I'm no financial guru here. All I know is when it comes to credit cards, the word DISCIPLINE is so important. As I always say "There's always a better way to shop and still look like a million bucks!"