Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Susan Boyle, the next winner on Britain's Got Talent?

Remember the saying "Never judge a book by its cover"? Well, that is how I would describe Susan Boyle, a volunteer church worker in her late-40s from Scotland who become an overnight superstar after she stunned the crowd with her angelic voice when she sang "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Misérables on the U.K talent show Britain's Got Talent. I wanted to blog about this because I want to applaud Susan Boyle for her bravery to stand in front of large skeptical audience and show the world what a beautiful voice she has. Not only does she have an angelic voice, Susan Boyle is also an angel, she took care of her mother till her mother passed away at 91 in 2007; 10 years after her father passed away. Susan has never been married and never been kissed too.

When Susan Boyle stood on the stage saying she wants to be a professional singer like Elaine Paige, everyone in the crowd including the judges were cynical about her singing. Some of the people in the crowd laughed at her, and Simon Cowell even rolled his eyeballs. The moment Susan Boyle sang her first sentence of "I Dreamed a Dream in time gone by...", the crowd applauded and you could see the judges' jaws wide open. I was touched to tears by her voice, I will let you watch the video and let her voice speak for itself. Prepare that box of tissues, you will be needing it.



Les Misérables 10th Anniversary "I Dream a Dream"

Compare Susan Boyle's version of "I Dreamed a Dream" with the original one from Les Misérables, and tell me which one do you think is better. Be patient when you watch the original Les Misérables video, the sentence "I dreamed a dream in time gone by..." starts 1.05 minutes into that YouTube video. Taking into consideration that Susan Boyle has only sang in her church and never sang professionally in front of a large audience, I think Susan Boyle has a voice of an angel. Tell me what you think under comments below.