Monday, June 15, 2009

Part 2: Non-Wearable Edible Art

In continuation to our previous blog entry on edible, wearable art, this blog entry is about non-wearable, edible art - confectionery art.

Besides being a Fashionista, I am also a big Foodie. My one big weakness for food is my sweet tooth. I love everything from cakes to pudding to chocolate to candy to cookies and of course ice-cream! I can skip having appetizers when I dine out, but I will never ever skip dessert. To me, dessert is the best part of a meal, because it is the highly anticipated dish that comes at the end that completes my meal with a happy ending.

Amezaiku - creations from colored candy taffy

I can't tell you enough how fascinated I am by anything Japanese from Harajuku girls (even our favorite Hollaback Girl Gwen Stefani loves them) to Sushi. Recently, I discovered a well-kept secret from my Japanese friend Megumi called Amezaiku. Amezaiku is a traditional Japanese folk art of sculpting candy into a variety of shapes. According to Megumi, this century-old art form is only practiced by a handful of people in Japan today. Many of them are actually street performers who learned the skill from their ancestors.

Beautiful gingerbread creations

Something closer to home is this confectionery art website I found when I was searching for easter gift baskets. I found this website Home Sweet Home that produces pieces of art in the form of cookies, sugar cubes and gingerbread. Everything is handmade from scratch and then carved.

Parisian Kitties staring at Japanese Mouse below

Little Japanese Mouse teasing Parisian Kitties above

Pure coincidence that I found a confectionery kitty and a mouse one after another. Now they can play Tom & Jerry here for as long as my blog still exists.