Thursday, June 4, 2009

I Am Recessionista's Low Down on SS09 Trends: Leather Jackets

Leather jackets are a must-have for Spring/Summer 09 and Fall/Winter 09. Seen on the runway as well as on so many of our favorite celebrities like Madonna and Lindsay Lohan, leather jackets are here to stay. Leather jackets are no longer for heavy metal rock bands or bikers, they have become such a fashion staple in my wardrobe because they can complete an outfit or make a dull outfit come alive! I am seeing a lot of unique shades and textures in charcoal grays, purples, shiny metallics, luxurious rust and copper tones besides the safe colors of black and brown.

Shopbop.com has a good variety of leather jackets from Mike & Chris and Alexander Wang, but be prepared to splurge anywhere between $700 and $1300. Don't despair, there's always a less expensive option out there. I recommend looking into H&M, Bebe, and Arden B. These are some of my favorite picks that are fashionable but won't break the bank.

Click on Photo to go to Bebe.com
Left to Right: Antique Moto $129, Military Leather $259, Leatherette Moto $139

Click on Photo to go to ArdenB.com
Left to Right: Leatherette Bomber $58, Asymmetrical Zip $58

My personal collection includes the ever so popular motorcycle leather jacket and the asymmetrical leather jacket. I have 8 leather jackets to my name - 6 full leather, 2 pleather. I will be posting photos of them in an upcoming blog entry. Leather jackets don't come cheap, even some pleather ones can cost over a hundred bucks. Anyhow, I still think that jackets and blazers are great investments. If you ask me, I will tell you that:

"It's better to have a few great pieces than a closet full of mediocre pieces."