Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Recessionista Review #1: Are Christian Louboutins Worth My Recessionista Dollar?


In continuation to my previous blog entry titled Red Hot Christian Louboutins, this is my review on 4 different pairs of Christian Louboutins I tried on at the Christian Louboutin boutique in the fashion epicenter of the world - New York City!

Christian Louboutin Store Display


Shoe #1: $1495 Christian Louboutin Differa Multi-buckle Sandals
  • Style: 4.0/5.0
  • Comfort: 3.5/5.0
Verdict: This gladiator heel pair was one of the designs I loved from his collection. Some of my friends think that this shoe screams "Stripper", but I still liked it a lot. So I wanted to know if the hefty 4 figure price tag was worth it. Surprisingly, it was more comfortable than I thought. If I owned this pair in my personal collection, I would probably only wear it in the bedroom behind closed doors not because it was uncomfortable, but because I really can't bear walking in these $1500 babies on bacteria infested streets.

Shoe #2: $885 Christian Louboutin Orlan Double Platform T-Straps
  • Style: 3.5/5.0
  • Comfort: 3.0/5.0
Verdict: I liked the style of the Orlan when I saw its side view on the shelf, but when I tried it on, the front view just seems awkward to look at. Due to the platforms of this shoe, it seems comfortable to stand in them, but when I started walking, it started to hurt my front toes a little. If I owned this pair in my personal collection, I would probably wear it only for formal black tie events.

Rachel Bilson from The O.C in her Orlan T-Straps


Shoe #3: $865 Christian Louboutin Hyper Prive Peep-Toe Pumps
  • Style: 4.5/5.0
  • Comfort: 2.0/5.0
Verdict: This is one of Christian Louboutin's popular styles so I had to try it on. It is so gorgeous to look at, indeed a perfect stiletto silhouette. Standing in this pair of shoes almost seem unbearable even for 30 seconds. If you have wide feet, this shoe will absolutely make you miserable. If I owned this pair in my personal collection, I would probably wear it only when I am sitting most of the time, or if I only have to walk down a 10-feet long red carpet.

Elizabeth Banks in her Hyper Prive Peep Toes


Shoe #4: $695 Christian Louboutin Etrier Wood Sandals

  • Style: 3.5/5.0
  • Comfort: 5.0/5.0
Verdict: This is not a signature style of Louboutin, so aesthetically, it doesn't get high marks for style. But the moment I set my feet into this pair of sandals, I felt so comfortable in it that I didn't want to take it off. This is by far the most comfortable pair of Christian Louboutins I have ever tried on. If I owned this pair in my personal collection, I would definitely wear it every single day and everywhere.

Overall Verdict: So after trying on 4 different pairs of Christian Louboutins worth an astounding $3940, I fell in love with one of them; which then begs the question: Are Christian Louboutins worth my Recessionista dollar? First and foremost, I must not be in credit card debt because of this purchase; meaning I must have cold hard cash put aside to pay for these darlings before bringing them home to my walk in closet.

As Coco Chanel once said “Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury.” I know that I will get a lot of use out of the Christian Louboutin Etrier Sandals if I own them in my personal shoe collection today because they are so comfortable. If I can get the cost per wear of the Etri down to $10 before the end of the lifespan of this Parisian work of art, then it may well be worth my Recessionista dollar. What do you think?