Sunday, April 5, 2009

Confessions of a Shopaholic


Although it has been almost 2 months since I watched Confessions of a Shopaholic, parts of the movie still stuck with me. I could see tiny bits of myself in Miss Bloomwood when she goes on uncontrollable spending splurges and rationalizes her overspending by calling her purchases "investments"! There was one scene where Rebecca was determined not to buy anything before she walked into a sample sale. In the end, her competitive shopaholic behavior got the better of her and she walked out with more "investments" she didn't need. I am the same way too. Back in the days when I was so into sample sales (still am, but to a much lesser extent), I would justify my time waiting in line to get into the sale and then at the fitting room with loads of purchases; and I would call them "investments". 8/10 times many of those purchases would just sit in my closet for years without even seeing the outside world.

Rebecca trying to lay her hands on a pair of purple leather gloves

Rebecca's disarrayed closet - much similar to mine

As I continued to ponder to myself on how much of a Rebecca Bloomwood was I in reality, I have to confess that I do have some shopaholism in me. I always thought that I was a bargain hunter because it was the amount of money I was saving by snapping up good deals and not what I would be wasting as a result of my compulsive shopping behavior. The good news is I still have some frugality in me and I don't have any credit card debt and still have savings. You might go like "Okay, so what's the big deal since you are not a full-blown, hopeless Shopaholic case like Miss Bloomwood!" Well in times like this, where banks and companies go belly up and people are losing their jobs everyday, it is a big deal to realize that you have a shopaholism problem and inject more frugality into your lives today! I have been better at being frugal these days since I made my new year resolution to be a Recessionista. Hopefully I can give good advice, and get good advice from others too.