Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Recessionista = Best Frugal Fashionista

*~*~*~*~*~*~ Happy April Fool's Day! *~*~*~*~*~*~
Disclaimer:
This blog is NOT an April Fool's Day joke and is written by a true Fashionista turned Recessionista.
A one-liner on why I decided to start this blog: My deep love for fashion started since I was 3 when I said the word "dress", people call me a Fashionista but I don't work in fashion, and now I have taken it upon myself to be the Best Frugal Fashionista a.k.a. Recessionista, I want to share with others on how to stay fashionable without breaking the bank.

Since I could dress myself, I have always tried to be fashionable with some success and some failed attempts along the way. Gosh! I remembered wearing my super skinny 3/4 tights with a loose top showing off my midriff and then adolescent butt; and that wasn't break dancing outfit! It all changed for me at 17, when my then BFF (Best Friend Forever) suggested that we try modeling or acting, and I agreed. We went to several agencies and filled out applications. A month and a half after our portfolio was done, we went for our first audition. I got a role in that TV ad, she didn't. I actually kept that secret from her for several years because she was pissed when they informed her that she would not be used in that ad. She eventually found out because our friends talked about how different I looked in that ad a couple years later. I did part-time modeling for 3 years then I had to go to college. Reminiscing my short modeling career, I was a semi-finalist in the Elite Model Search, did several TV ads, but mostly editorial and fashion spreads.

When I went to college, I was a full-fledged Fashionista. When I graduated and started my first real job, I was still getting constant compliments from people in my social circle and acquaintances I met on the plane, in a different country, and even at the mall. People were surprised that I wasn't from the Fashion industry. Like a lot of people who do not work in fashion, I have a great sense of style and shopping is my favorite hobby. My frequent splurges are:
Accessories (bags, belts, jewelry) and Jeans. Contrary as it sounds, I love traveling even though I already travel a lot for my job. I tend to shop wherever I go; which could be a good and bad thing depending on how you view it. As you follow my blog, you will learn of all the items I have spent my hard-earned money on and you will know my real profession.

In spite of all my spendthrift habits, I still strive to be frugal. I always try to save no matter how much I spend, and I hardly ever buy anything at full retail (with the exception of my fave labels that never go on sale). People always ask me how do I manage to keep up with the trends and own all these expensive brands and yet have the ability to save. I believe that it is my ability to spot a great buy and then mixing and matching high fashion with mall brands within my closet and improvise on accessories to make them my own.
As you continue to follow my blog, I will be sharing many of these fashion secrets with everyone out there.

Stay tuned.

XOXO

Your BFF